Healthy aging requires access to appropriate housing, quality health care and supportive public and private services. Such access is often denied to LGBTQ seniors because of systemic discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Women are particularly in need of services because they live longer and earn less income, on average.
Since 2013, Gray Pride has been the only LGBTQ-focused senior services program in Dallas, with a primary focus on combatting isolation and improving mental health.
Gray Pride engages senior citizens through activities designed to provide social interaction and combat isolation. Once engaged in a safe place, senior participants have access to Resource Center’s mental health and behavioral health counseling programs. Gray Pride is also a means to allow Resource Center to increase efforts to raise awareness of issues facing LGBTQ seniors through advocacy.
Combat Isolation and Loneliness through Social Opportunities:
- Weekly events:
- Weekly support group (grief/loss, coming out, aging gracefully, retirement, etc.): Mondays at 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Monday Meetups: Mondays at 1-5 p.m.
- Monthly Mixers: Third Thursday at 6-8 p.m.
- Annual events:
- Prom: Fifty Shades of Gray Pride, May 13 at 7-11 p.m.
- Holiday Party - TBD
Building Community Relationships and Awareness for LGBT Seniors:
- Building coalitions among existing senior services agencies, social service providers, health professional, hospitals and organizations that offer care for aging people
Behavior Health Services:
- LGBTQ focused mental health and substance abuse for adults.
- Behavioral Health counseling services are available for adults in either individual, group or family settings.
- Click here for behavioral health services.
Resource Center Community Center
5750 Cedar Springs Road
Dallas, TX 75235
Click here to check our agency calendar for a list of upcoming events.
For information about the Elder Financial Safety Center, click here.